As winter weather approaches, so do hazardous conditions. Snowy sidewalks, icy parking lots, and strong…
Do you have upper back or shoulder stiffness? Try some of these home exercises to improve your upper-body mobility and strengthen your shoulders. All you’ll need is a foam roller and a resistance band.
Warm-up and mobility:
- Shoulder and neck mobilizations: 15x each
- Upper-back extension over a foam roller: 3 different spots, 10x *Don’t go into your low back
- Open books: 15x each
- Scapular complex: 10x each
(keep your shoulder blades down and lightly squeezed together throughout each exercise: 3×10 each)
- Side-lying shoulder external rotation: add a towel roll or pillow under your arm (better rotator cuff activation)
- Banded As
- Banded Ws: add a press-up for a challenge
- Banded Ys
- Banded rows
- Cross-body stretch *Keep your shoulder blade engaged downward before you gently pull on your arm. You should feel this in the back of the shoulder.
- Child’s pose *You can use a stability ball, foam roller, or chair to roll into the stretch
Watch Video Demo: